Thursday, June 19, 2014

5x5 Challenge : Day 7 | It's actually pretty easy being green...


I spent some time in our yard today. In doing so I realized that I haven't done so in quite a while. How is that possible? I live here. I live on top of our yard. How is it that I have not walked the perimeter or explored the contours in what feels like weeks? Weeks!? 

I suppose it's because I always do the same thing in our yard: I tend the garden. I walk the diagonal line from the back door to the raised beds, extra long garden hose in hand, and I water and weed and tend like a good gardener does. 

But then what? What - I'm all tuckered out from holding the hose? I'm too spent to check out the other acre of land around me? 

No, I suspect it has more to do with the fact that it's usually a tiny miracle that I've carved out enough time to water the garden (rarely in peace, most often fighting Dash for the hose and repeatedly telling him I do not want to be sprayed today) and when I finish, I quickly move on to the next thing I remembered I needed to do. Sadly, walking around in our yard just looking at stuff isn't on that list.

But today Ryan took the kids to "throw rocks in the lake" (this is an actual activity) and I watered the garden on my own. And I whacked some weeds and cleaned up the sand table toys and threw some sticks into the firepit. Then I just started walking around. The grass was freshly mowed, which made it infinitely more enticing to me, and the breeze and temperature were perfect for outside meandering. No overbearing sun. No annoying mosquitos. It was pretty perfect. 

And so amazingly green. Like, woah. SO GREEN. Everything is green right now. Emerald and jade and lime and forest... every hue nature has to offer is on display, right here in my frickin' yard. 

So I was feeling pretty lucky as I walked over to my favorite corner, which is outlined on two sides by cedar trees. It's shady and smells delicious. My blissful gaze stopped when I spotted... no, it couldn't be... I would have known about this... would've seen them last summer... unless I wasn't walking around our yard often enough...

Raspberry bushes! Right there on the edge of the little forest that forms the boundary line between our yard and that of our neighbor. Of course, the berries are green. For now.




Even this is a delightful shade of green. #septic




Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home